Sunday, July 28, 2013

#CODED-ish::I’ve always dreamt of being a beauty queen –Anna Ebiere Banner, MBGN winner

6:10 AM

I’ve always dreamt of being a beauty queen –Anna Ebiere Banner, MBGN winner
For 18-years-old Anna Ebiere Banner, winner of this year’s edition of the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant, there is a thin line separating dream from reality. The student of Linguistics and Communication Studies of University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State has always dreamt of donning the crown of a beauty queen. Only last Saturday, her dream came to pass as she beat 31 other contestants to clinch the crown at a glamorous ceremony held in Yenagoa, capital of Bayelsa State.

Banner, who represented her state, Bayelsa in the competition organized annually by Silverbird Group, has now taken over the reigns from Isabele Ayuk, the Most Beautiful girl in Nigeria 2012. She will represent Nigeria at the Miss World pageant later this year in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Moments after the crowning ceremony, Banner, who is now the Special Assistant on Culture and Tourism to Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State, opened up to The Entertainer. Here are excerpts from the interview.
Can you introduce yourself?
My name is Anna Ebiere Banner. I am from Sagbama Local Government Area of Bayelsa State. I am 18-years-old. I am a student of Linguistics and Communication Studies from University of Port Harcourt. I am in 100 level.
Tell us about your background?
I come from a family of four. My parents have two children, my older brother and I. My mum and dad are business people, and my brother is into marine plumbing.
How do you feel tonight?
I feel awesome and glad. I’m overwhelmed with joy.
When you were announced as the winner, what went through your mind?
Lots of things were going through my mind. But actually my mind was blank because I didn’t really hear my name very clearly. I don’t really know what to say but I am just too happy.
Did you dream of winning the contest?
Yes, I have always dreamt of being in this position because I have always had the passion for helping humanity, so I had always wanted a platform where I can carry out this thing.
How did you hear about MBGN?
A friend of mine, Ambassador Uche, told me about Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant and I entered for the competition.
How would you describe your experience at the booth camp?
The experience was wonderful. There were lots of fun, drama, talking, laughing; so many good things happened in the camp and I really loved it. They were good memories. At the booth camp, I learnt punctuality, perseverance and humility.
You are now a Special Assistant on Culture and Tourism to the Governor of Bayelsa State and also an ambassador, how would you combine your role as a queen with all these?
I am really going to try my best. I will put in much effort to make sure that I help my people, state and my governor. I will try my best no matter how hard it may seem, I will put my best towards it and I will make sure that my best comes out of it.
What projects do you intend to pursue?
I will concentrate on education. I just want to help my people in terms of education. I want to give them the awareness of education. I am talking about not just formal education but informal education that has to do with skill acquisition. I want to make sure people understand that education is wealth and knowledge, and to also let them know that those who have proper qualifications are able to achieve better in life.
Were you surprised that you won the contest?
Yes, I am still very surprised that I won the competition because there were lots of contestants in the house.
What are you taking away from this competition?
Being friendly with people is actually a good thing. You never know where you will meet them tomorrow. It’s actually best for you to be nice to people, talk to them and relate with them in a good manner.
How did your parents react to your emergence as the queen?
My mother is happy and over excited. My dad couldn’t make it to the venue of the show. There were rumours about pageantry not being healthy for young girls. But despite this, I convinced them that it wasn’t going to be the same.
What of your boyfriend? Is he excited too?
I can’t answer that. I’m just eighteen. I don’t have a boyfriend. That’s not really my priority right now.
Who are your heroes?
My first icon is God almighty and the second is the President of Liberia, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. My role model is Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. She’s not into pageantry but I love her so much because she’s very courageous, zealous, fearless, a Christian and not someone to let go of her dream because of some kind of instability. She motivates me a lot. Also, I am really grateful to everybody including my family and friends. I love them all.
What is your favourite meal?
My best food is actually pounded yam. But for now, I have to cut down on that because I don’t want to add too much weight.
What are your hobbies?
I love writing and singing.

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 CODED Issues.All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top