Sunday, January 19, 2014

#CODED-ish News::Two weeks to exam: UNILAG students moan their fate

9:12 AM

It is said that when two elephant fights the ground suffers. It is only two weeks left for the students University of Lagos (UNILAG) students to prepare for their second semester examination after six months of ASUU strike. SYLVESTER OKORUWA was on campus to get the comments of the students on their experiences during the strike period and future plans.

Mike Okoh, post -graduate MSC Economic: During the strike, I got myself busy with my family members doing profitable business. I was positively engaged, but the six month period was a waste for me academically. I could not go on with the progamme, I was doing at that time due to the prolonged ASUU strike. To me, the strike only helped extend my programme, which I did not find funny because before the strike, I had only two months to the end of my post graduate course, but now, I have to do extra brain work to be able to meet up with the present crash programme the system now offers us. The strike left us with no choice because ASUU was fighting for the improvement of university education in Nigeria.

Deola Jayesimi, 200 Level, Faculty of Law: The six months ASUU strike only helped to extend my five years Law programme to six years. The strike was very inconveniencing for me as it only distorted the school's calendar and delayed the students from moving to the next class. Before the strike, we were unable to write our 200 level second semester examination because by now, I should have been in 300 level. As for me, I only used the ASUU strike to play football and briefly worked in my father's company.

Bukola Toki, 200 Level, Department of Petro Chemical Engineering: The strike affected every student in different ways, while some of the female students got pregnant, others were engaged in positive entrepreneurship activities. I believe that the government was very insensitive to the plight of Nigerian students, that was why the strike was prolonged. As for me, I tried to engaged myself in some positive activities.

Victor Dare, 400 Level, Department of Philosophy: The strike was worth it if ASUU got everything they fought for. As a student, I cannot compare myself with fellow students in South Africa in terms infrastructure. If ASUU gets the money and puts in place the necessary facilities in our universities, studying will be made easy. To me, the crash programme presently put in place for the final year students is not going to be funny because in two weeks time, I will be writing the final examination and defending my project, all after six months of idleness, how do we cope?

Evelyn Chinasa Ike, 400 Level, Department of Philosophy: Initially, when the ASUU strike started, the final year students were happy because it gave us time to do more research work on our projects, but when it went on from one month to five months, we were affected psychologically. Now that we have resumed, everybody is busy reading to be able to cover lost grounds as the examinations start in two weeks time. How do we cope? Only God will help us because many students did not study during the strike. This may result in massive failure.

Patrick, Department of Creative Arts: The strike was challenging as the strike affected more students psychologically. Six months of idleness and two weeks to prepare for a second semester examination. This may not be easy. ASUU and the Federal Government should also take the students into consideration in the course of their dispute because if two elephants fights, it is the grass that suffers most. Now that the strike is over, the students will have to bear the pains.
Source: Nigerian Tribune.

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 CODED Issues.All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top