Thursday, May 15, 2014

#CODED-ish News::WHY FG Rejected Boko Haram Prisoner Swap For Abducted School Girls

8:53 AM

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, on Wednesday, disclosed that the Federal Government would not engage in what he termed "trade by barter" with the Boko Haram sect in securing the release of the over 234 school girls that were kidnapped from GGSS, Chibok, Borno State, by Insurgent members on April 14.

It would be recalled that the Islamist leader, Abubakar Shekau, on Sunday released a video showing the abducted school girls. He hinted that they (Boko Haram) were ready to swap the girls for the release of their detained brethren in different cells and prisons across the country.

The presidential spokesman also hinted that because it is an asymmetrical warfare, dialogue could be difficult too since the sect members are usually faceless.

"While the Chibok issue has brought up the matter of whether the government is going to hold dialogue or whether the government is going to buy back the girls, I don't see government planning to engage in any action that amounts to trade by barter, or treatment of the girls as items of merchandise, or anything that remotely over-privileges crime against humanity.

"In this kind of asymmetrical warfare, even dialogue can be difficult because the enemy is faceless.

"Nonetheless, what government has said is that it has always adopted all options in dealing with the security challenge and there are already ongoing processes and standing committees. Government has said clearly, however that any Boko Haram member who is ready to lay down his arms and repent, the door is open to such members.

"The key word that government has ever used is dialogue and that is dialogue with stakeholders and possibly repentant insurgents" he said.

Abati, who noted that government had been adopting what he called soft approach to insecurity alongside the military operations, cited last year, when Jonathan released some detained relatives of sect members.

"In this regard, it is worth recalling that there are existing committees that have been saddled with the responsibility of operationalising what the National Security Adviser once described as the soft approach in the country's counter-terrorism strategy.

"This soft approach includes dialogue particularly with repentant Boko Haram extremists. There are at least two distinct platforms.

"First, we have the presidential committee on dialogue that is saddled with the responsibility of looking into the matter of extremism in the North-East.

"That standing committee has since submitted a report and the report has led to a number of actions by the President, including the Presidential Initiative in the North-East known as PINE, an economic recovery programme.

"You will also recall that at a point, the President released some detainees, including women, children and young persons belonging to Boko Haram who were in detention.

"That was also a product of that soft approach. So when government says all options are open in dealing with this issue, government is talking about that soft approach in addition to other measures.

"Recently also, the President set up the presidential fact-finding committee on the Chibok abduction. Part of the mandate of that committee is to visit Chibok, relate with the parents of the girls, relate with stakeholders and try to see how assistance can be given to the girls who have been released and also their families and what useful information can be collated.

"All of this involves dialogue, looking at many options. I don't think government will come up again and set up a special negotiating committee. There is a soft approach that is already in place and it is going on simultaneously with the military operation.

"It is also important to note that the Presidency is not relying solely on a whole of government approach. Government is combining whatever it does with a whole of society approach. So there is that soft approach which includes dialogue, talking to stakeholders" Abati said.

However, Labaran Maku, the Minister of Information at the end of the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting which was presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, assured that government would go to any length to make sure that the abducted school girls were rescued, while his counterpart, Zaynab Maina, the minister for Women Affairs urged Nigerians and the ministers to pray for the successful rescue of the girls.

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 CODED Issues.All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top