Saturday, June 9, 2012

‘Though I’m Funny, I Hate Being Referred To As Comedian’

1:55 AM


He recently won the award of ‘The Most Outstanding Comic-Radio Presenter Award 2012.’ In this interview with ADUN OLADAPO, he opens up on his personality, his views about broadcasting and comedy.

Why do you think you’re funny or when did you realise you are funny?
Am I? I have never thought I was, but people around me. I would rather say, discovered me due to my spontaneous, reaction to happenstances around me and henceforth, I have never looked back.
How did you enter into the comedy industry?
Hmmm! Through a door that was left un-attended to; in fact through the back door! I had always done my thing way back as an undergraduate in my OOU (Olabisi Onabanjo University) days in Ago-Iwoye, and coming into Lagos and getting on radio (EKO 89.7fm) just made it all easy, meeting with the stars I had always dreamt I would one day meet and also interview.
Where did you grow up?
I was here in Lagos, did all my schooling right here, save for tertiary education in Ogun State. Now I am married here and of course earn a living from Nigeria as a whole because of my emceeing career which has taken me to the length and breadth of this country.
How do you spend your normal days?
Is there an abnormal one? (Laughs). I take each day as it comes oooh! Love listening to music- that is only when I don’t have job from an agency to translate into pidgin or I’m not in the studios doing a voice-over job or not booked to be on air.
A lot of people see Ali Baba as a good leader who has helped build so many comedians’ careers; what do you think about him?
See, the truth that he doesn’t know of himself is that my sighting him alone at LTV Complex, when I was an intern, spurred me into becoming who I am today, because I was like waoh! See bros oo! So, he is a good leader with a good heart, having had events with him several times.
What’s your advice for the people who look up to you as a mentor?
Keep your head up and never stop believing in your dreams because they definitely do come true and never forget the big GOD up there. He remains true to His promises, no matter the circumstances.
What drives you to do what you do?
The love of the art gives me joy. Like I say on air that I would always be a broadcaster, even if I am not being paid, but the fact that I have bills to pay makes it more satisfactory
What really were you into before you ventured into broadcasting and comedy?
A student at Olabisi Onabanjo University nah, abi wetin u wan hear again? Say I sell Icewater for Oyingbo? Just being funny.
From the old form to the new trend, the comedy industry has witnessed tremendous change; what’s your opinion?
Change is the only constant thing in life, so he that thinks he stands should stand well-well.
How do you cope with the proliferation of comedians here and there?
Abeg, everybody get him crowd. So, let all man keep hustling, it’s the clients that would keep separating chaft from the wheat. You know, comedy in Nigeria and the music industry as of now happens to be the biggest employer of labour?
Was there any point in time you were pushed to the wall and felt like quitting?
H’m! None that I think of right now and, if truth be told, I doubt it if I will ever quit because I do lots of things which keep evolving around entertainment still. God forbid sha oo.
Share some of the ugly experience with us while trying to discharge your duty?
Having fans wanting more than the usual fun, that is a relationship with an artiste, though they are in the know that I am married now.
Where did you learn your comedy arts?
Though I read to brush myself up and keep researching, I was born into a family of witty folks, just that I am the only fortunate one using this God-given endowment to eke out a living. So, I would say it’s in-born, though I do not agree I am a comedian. I see myself more as an entertainer who does everything that revolves around the industry. So, I won’t love to be addressed as a comedian.

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 CODED Issues.All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top